A girlfriend of mine and I were texting the other day while I was home working and she was eating Chipotle. She sent me a picture of her lunch and my mouth started to water. My response to her was “#foodporn.” My partner and I love food almost as much as we love each other, and him and I are constantly sending each other pictures of food accounts we follow on Instagram. Each message ends with one of us having our mouths water. Which got me thinking about both food, and porn. Mmm, what a combo!
And then somehow during my wandering thoughts with that combination, I landed on the question: what foods make you feel frisky? Most people have heard that oysters are aphrodisiacs, but what other foods are there? And now that it’s summer, the season of sunshine, bikinis and vacation-mode, I want to eat as many frisky foods as possible to help me and my love have the HOTTEST summer ever…if you catch my drift.
WHAT RHYMES WITH APHRODISIAC?
According to RhymeZone.com, there are five words in total that rhyme with it, though not all of them have the same number of syllables. Anyway, that’s nothing you need to know. What you do need to know, if you’re not sure what an aphrodisiac is, is how Google defines it: an aphrodisiac is
a food, drink, or other thing that stimulates sexual desire.
CHEW ON THESE
There are a lot of foods out there that do different things in your body to aid in impacting your frisky feels. So, while eating a banana may not give you an automatic boner or turn on the faucet for the ladies, the 15 common foods I’ve listed below all have a part in turning on something in your body that can get your engines revving. Sample for yourself! So read, shop for, eat and enjoy!
- I discovered figs when I was in Portugal and I fell in LOVE with these amazing fruits! My grandmother loved them too, and she had seven pregnancies. Coincidence they’re an aphrodisiac? I like to think not! Figs naturally have a sexy look to them, as they sort of resemble the female sex organs. Since they’re high in amino acids and antioxidants, they’re believed to be a sexual stimulant by boosting sexual stamina and increasing libido. But the best part for me is that they’re JUST SO DELICIOUS!
- What an easy pun here – eat these to keep things hot and spicy in your sex life! What makes these peppers hot is something called capsaicin. Capsaicin stimulates nerve endings on your tongue, which releases epinephrine (adrenaline). That chemical speeds up your heart rate and releases endorphins (aka your body’s feel good chemicals). So basically, they give you a bit of a natural high which boosts your libido! Please note, they may also make you sweat. Which is a great excuse to go get sweaty in the sack!
- Avocados have a sexy-food reputation that dates back to the Aztecs. The ancient Aztec’s nickname for avocado was “ahuacatl,” which translates to “testicle” because of the fruit’s shapely form. As for the scientific reasons avocados are thought to help get your freak on, it’s because they’re high in folic acid, vitamins E, B9 and B6 which help with vigor, energy and testosterone.
- I feel like chocolate is often involved in thoughts that combine food and sex. Strawberries, whipped cream, chocolate syrup. Was that combination anyone else’s idea of food foreplay in the bedroom in high school? On Valentine’s Day what is one of the top gifts given? Chocolate. And it makes sense why! Chocolate has a stimulating chemical known as phenylethlamine, which elicits a sense of excitement and well-being. The bonus with chocolate is that if you eat good quality dark chocolate, there are a ton of heart benefits as well. And if you keep a healthy heart you create the opportunity for a longer, more vibrant sex life!
- There’s a legend that says Casanova, the Venetian romancer, ate dozens of oysters a day…even eating 50 for breakfast! And one of the sexiest tales is that he seduced a woman once by sliding an oyster from his mouth into hers. Yowza! Feel free to see if that same trick works for you. Outside of legend, oysters are thought to be an aphrodisiac because of the high levels of zinc which is an important mineral for sperm and testosterone production. Additionally, there was research done recently that connected oysters with having rare amino acids that trigger increased levels of sex hormones. Get your slurp on!
- When I think of watermelon, I think of summer. Which is a happy thought in and of itself! But watermelon has high levels of the amino acid citruline, which relaxes blood vessels, increases blood flow and increases sexual arousal. Watermelon is associated with “Viagra-like effects” on the body. You don’t need to say anything else to get me to slice up some juicy watermelon chunks!
- Pine nuts
- Pine nuts are yummy. Since Medieval times people have believed in their ability to help the libido. They have high levels of zinc which helps with men’s production of testosterone like we discussed with oysters. And zinc is also associated with a healthy sex drive. Make a pesto sauce or toss these babies in a salad!
- Have you ever thought about how many songs talk about honey and use it in association with love or sex? There are a ton of songs out there! Again, I choose to believe it’s not by coincidence. In ancient Greece, Hippocrates prescribed honey for sexual vigor and it was known as “liquid gold.” Honey contains boron, which regulates hormone levels and nitric oxide. Nitric oxide increases blood flow during arousal, which helps create erections and clitoral engagement. Sweet like candy to my soul!
- Check out that phallic shape! Asparagus has high amounts of vitamin E which can increase blood and oxygen flow to the genitals. It also has a lot of potassium, which is linked to sex hormone production. And it’s high in vitamin B as well, which aids in histamine production and is important for a healthy sex drive! If you’re going to grill some vegetables, why not add this to the list?
- Arugula has a spicy, peppery flavor to it, so it makes sense it would fit into our category of frisky foods. Sexually speaking, Ancient Romans associated arugula with Priapus, a minor Roman god of fertility. As a dark leafy veggie, it’s a powerhouse as it relates to necessary nutrients for a thriving sex life. Arugula contains zinc, vitamins A and C, magnesium and potassium.
- Mmm, vanilla! My favorite ice cream flavor base, my favorite scent base in a candle or body spray. It is delicious! There is debate over vanilla’s aphrodisiac power; if it’s because of stimulating ingredients and properties or its sensual, calming smell and exotic taste. My vote is for both reasons!
- Pomegranates have the reputation of a superfood, and fresh from its flesh I love me some pom! The biggest sexual benefit of this fruit is its high level of antioxidants. They help decrease inflammation in your arteries which of course promotes more blood flow…including to your nether regions.
- Pumpkin seeds
- Pumpkin, the flavor of fall. Not only that, but the list of vitamins pumpkin seeds provide is one of the longest! Zinc, vitamins B, C, D, E and K, as well as minerals including potassium, calcium, phosphorous and niacin. Next October when you pick and carve your pumpkins, make sure you save those seeds and roast them up to get some sexy power flowing!
- Not only does legend say strawberries were formed from the heart-shaped tears of Aphrodite, but they pack a good punch of vitamin C. Not only does that keep your immune system up, but it’s important for the production of sex hormones and chemical neurotransmitters in the brain to increase your libido. So, feed them to your partner to stay healthy and horny!
- Art fans may know that almonds have been a symbol of fertility for a long time. Almonds are rich in selenium and zinc, both essential for reproductive health. They’re also a prime source of beneficial fatty acids like omega-3, which, again, help with hormone production. The aroma of almonds is said to arouse passion in women. Is that why I love spoonfuls of almond butter so much?
YUM = FUN
I had no idea some of these foods had such a purpose in helping the playful part of my life. And the great news is, I already eat most of these foods on the regular! Knowing these YUM foods equate to FUN in the bedroom, I will make sure to add them to grocery store weekly. I hope these eats help you get your freak on too!